Claim this page for your business.Learn More
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) is one of the oldest, longest and most scenic tourist excursion railways in the country. It is a
private sector, volunteer supported, not-for-profit 501 c3 organization operating in partnership with Cuyahoga Valley National Park and dedicated to the preservation of passenger rail transportation in Cuyahoga Valley & the historic Ohio & Erie Canalway.
For thousands of years Indians used the Cuyahoga River and Valley in northern Ohio as a north-south transportation corridor. Later the Ohio and Erie Canal provided the early settlers a slow, but easy way to move bulk goods and people.
In 1880, the first steam engine chugged its way down the new Valley Railway, signaling an era of progress and prosperity for the Cuyahoga Valley residents. Primarily built to transport coal; from south of Canton to Cleveland’s growing industries, the Valley Railway also served the farmers, merchants and factories along its route. Depots piled high with farm produce dotted the valley section of the railroad line.
Financial difficulties in 1894 led to the Valley Railway’s acquisition by the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad (CT&V). The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad bought the CT&V in 1915 and continued to provide freight and passenger service between Akron and Cleveland. However, the popularity of the automobile caused a decline in passenger traffic on the line. Passenger service ended in 1963. The last freight train operated by the Chessie System ran in 1985.
Today, the historic rails are owned by the National Park Service as part of its goal to preserve the significant cultural resources in the Cuyahoga Valley. The organization operates the excursion train through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in cooperation with the National Park Service.
Cuyahoga Valley Railroad
P.O. Box 158
Peninsula, OH 44264
Vist our website : https://www.cvsr.com