When someone asks what Findlay is known for, there are a few landmark businesses that come to mind… one of those is Dietsch Brothers. The history of Dietsch Brothers began in the late 1920’s when Edward Dietsch purchased the C.W. Wickham Candy Co. and with the help of his two younger brothers Chris and Don, opened a candy and ice cream store using their own family recipes. Unfortunately, in 1934, Edward passed away of an infection. His wife, Doris, continued the business for a couple years, but when Doris also passed away at a young age, the business was forced to close.
On December 7, 1937, Dietsch Brothers, as you know it today, opened its doors when Chris (Bud) and Don (Johnny) purchased the local Rogge Bakery Shop. Youngest brother, Roy (Snitz) helped out while finishing high school and after graduating in 1938, joined the business full time. The brothers eliminated the bakery and began producing fine chocolates and ice cream using Ed’s family recipes.
During World War II, Bud, Johnny and Snitz relied on many of their siblings and extended families to run the business while they served our country. Although times were very tough and sugar was rationed, the family was able to keep the store open until the brothers returned home safely.
Upon their return they worked long hours, often staying open until midnight to produce the finest chocolates and ice cream in town. The brothers were grateful for the help of many family members, especially in the early years. Their wives would come in during the holidays to pack candy and their children started helping out at an early age on their summer and holiday breaks.
Contact us :
400 West Main Cross Street
Findlay, OH 45840
Visit our website > https://dietschs.com/