Claim this page for your business.Learn More
The History of The Sausage Shoppe
March 3, 1938 was the first day of business for “Kirchberger Sausage,” started by Hans Kirchberger and his brother-in law Theo Johanni. Both emigrated to the U.S. from Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany, and they brought with them recipes that are still used today. Pride in being a master sausage maker allowed Hans to use his family name as the original name of the business. The store was located on the southeast corner of Memphis Avenue and West 45th Street at 4425 Memphis Avenue. Sausage was manufactured in the basement and carried outside to the smokehouse. The first floor of the red brick building was the store where leberwurst sold for only 35 cents per pound!
In September of 1962, Hans moved the business to its present location, 4501 Memphis Avenue. The store, the manufacturing facilities and the smokehouses are now all located in one building.
As retirement approached, Hans offered the store to Norm Heinle, a longtime employee. Hans and his wife, Elly, had two children but neither was interested in continuing the family business. So, in October 1974, Norm began his proprietorship. Hans died in December, 1988 and Elly followed soon after in June, 1990.
Norm began to work for Hans when he was just 13 years old, and was responsible for cutting the grass and washing pots and pans. As his responsibilities increased though the years, Norm mastered the art of sausage-making.
Visit our website : https://www.sausageshoppe.com
4501 Memphis Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44144-1912
Phone: (216) 351-5213